Check out these 'pickled' facts -
- Many cultures have historically fermented foods by burying them underground, producing a rotted, yet edible delicacy.
- Pickling is the ancient culinary craft of preserving foods in salt brine or vinegar.
- Pickles played an important role in Colombus’s discovery of America in 1492.
- Many people consider pickle brine a useful commodity, with its complex flavor of spices, salt, vinegar, and pickled vegetables.
- Today, a common figurative sense for the word pickle is "troublesome situation"—as in "you’ve gotten us into a pretty pickle."
Ooo... I want some pickes right now! While I'm off to turn the kitchen upside down for them, you can read up more on pickles and their fascinating recipes from these links -
Science Of Pickles - Some pickling fun!
Family Favorites - Recipe time... from the Pickle hot-spot, India.
Science Of Cooking Pickles - Enjoy!!
Pickled Particulars - More pickled stuff.