Some more on Shichi-Go-San -
- The festival is said to have started in the Heian period (794-1185) where the nobles celebrated the growth of their children on a lucky day in November.
- November 15 is Shichi-go-san, a day of prayer for the healthy growth of young children.
- Most girls wear kimonos when making their Shichi-go-san visit, while boys don haori jackets and hakama trousers.
- Odd numbers are considered lucky numbers. Long candies in bags that are decorated with turtles and cranes are given to the children.
- The candy, the crane, and the turtle, all symbolize longlivity.
Shichi-Go-San - Read up more on these cuties.
Japanese Guide - Some interesting details.
Wikipedia - Nothing better than this to enhance a bit of knowledge!
Japanese Lifestyles - Interesting Reads.