There was also Misa de Gallo and Las Posadas, in Philippines. I found about all these on the net. It feels great to have an Asian touch to a holiday tradition! And last, but not the least was Cookie Cutter Day, and I'm sure U can kind of guess what I did... eat cookies! Come on, what's the use of celebrating cookie cutter day if U can't get to eat cookies! They make great gifts too - check out this simple recipe that can be eaten was well as gifted !
3/4 cup Golden Crisco or Butter-flavored Crisco (shortening)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Coloured decorations or icing
- Cream Crisco, sugar, eggs and vanilla in large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and creamy.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add to creamed mixture, mixing on low speed until well blended.
- Cover dough and chill 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Roll half of dough at a time. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a cookie cutter, cut in desired shapes.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets. Roll leftover pieces.
- Sprinkle with coloured decorations or leave plain to decorate when cool. Bake at 375°F for 8 to 10 minutes, or until edges are light brown.
- Cool slightly, then remove to cooling rack.