Anyway, let's come out of me and move ahead - Yesterday was Science Fiction Day, and I had a cool time watching movies and doing something else too. Sleeping! Yes, 'coz today's also Festival of Sleep and I just kind of started celebrating it a bit early! Another celebration that's on the cards for the day is Chocolate Covered Cherry Day ! It's a tad early to eat now, so I guess some time later in the day will do for my lil' binge. So, before I sign out to head for my classes, take a peek into this yummy thing I found!
* 2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
* 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
* 1 Tablespoon milk
* 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
* 2 jars maraschino cherries with stems
* 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
* 2 Tablespoons shortening
- In mixing bowl, combine sugar, butter, milk, and almond extract.
- Mix well. Knead into large ball. Roll into 1 inch balls and flatten each into 2 inch circle.
- Wrap around cherries and lightly roll in hands. Place with stem up on waxed paper-lined baking sheet.
- Cover loosely and refrigerate 4 hours or over night. Melt the chocolate chips and shortening in a double boiler or microwave-safe bowl.
- Holding onto stem, dip cherries into chocolate and set on waxed paper to harden.
- Store in a covered container. Refrigerate 1-2 weeks before serving. The longer the candies sit the juicier the center will be.